Thursday, August 20, 2015

Day 2

The second day is harder than the first. This is because the first day was all happiness and smiles and it was only a half day. Today, I had the kids all day for the first time. Went through lunch for the first time. Went through rest time for the first time. And by the end of the day, we were all tired. But I'm holding on for that day when the routine settles and we aren't faced with the change and newness of every minute.

Today, we made a fun craft I found last year. Simple, but a good assessment of skills and fun way to get to know them.





We also read a fun favorite, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. After reading, we played the Letter Bag game. So much fun, so quick and catchy! I didn't do anything fancy, just got a lunch bag and threw a bunch of foam letters in it (I really don't know what they're supposed to be for, they were just in the classroom when I arrived!). I also wrote the song on the bag because I knew I'd forget it otherwise. But it's really simple and the kids love it, to the tune of The Muffin Man.

Oh, look who has the letter bag,
the letter bag, the letter bag.
Look who has the letter bag,
now please take a letter!

It was a good way to help me assess the skills my kids have in letter identification, because we were able to go around the circle several times (with a small class that's easy!). 



After playing the game, I put on this Chicka Chicka Boom Boom video, which I think is such a fun way to re-read the story, without, you know, re-reading it. A fun way to work on letters in the first days of school!

God's blessings and happy teaching!
Mikaela

No comments:

Post a Comment